Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Here's an experiment

Okay, let's back up a bit. A few weeks ago, Orion took out another life insurance policy on me. I've had one through the army for a few years..but I think it's something like $100,000. We want to ensure that all costs are covered and the kids will be taken care of in case their mommy..ya know..dies or something. Covering bases. Anyway, so he took out another policy to the tune of $250,000. So now, if I die within the next 20 years..there's $350,000 to work with.

So..I get this call yesterday from USAA wanting to do the phone interview with me..do I have time? Uh..sure. Little did I know it would take an hour and a half! They went through my entire medical history..and I mean *entire*. Oh. My. Gosh. You want to know the name of the doctor who tended to me when I had pneumonia as an infant??? MRIs..CT scans..CAT scans..births..all about my headaches (which is still a super confusing topic to ME and I'm the one that deals with them and you want me to tell YOU about it? Good luck)...and then it got to the drugs. Oh, crap. How embarrassing. I told him the truth about it all. I told him I've not had a cigarette in 2 years. No marijuana in 3 years. No cocaine in 4 years. And no crystal meth in 5 years. Those latter two weren't huge gaps of my life..just a small phase of being young and stupid. He asked me how I got off of them and I said I did it myself. He asked if I was going to meetings..if I'd been in treatment. If I've relapsed. No. Sir, test me. I will be clean for everything..go for it. I told him I was just young and experimental but I'm married and I have kids and I wouldn't put any of them or my husband's job in jeopardy. Ya know..I kinda like the life I have now.

So when I got off the phone with him..Orion looked at me and shook his head. I asked him what? And he said when it comes to drugs..I shouldn't tell anyone. My family obviously knows..close friends know..and obviously our kids will know (not now, obviously..but when they're older and ask, I'll be honest) because I don't want to lie to them and act all goody goody when I know things about certain things. I don't want my kids to grow up and feel like I sometimes do (Just WHO are you?!?! How did I not really know you at all???). But outside of close people..I should keep it to myself. (not like I run down the street screaming it at the top of my lungs or anything!)


"...So you want me to lie?"

"yes."

"I'm sorry..I can't do that. I need to be able to put my head on my pillow at night and know I did the right thing..and when it comes to my health..there are things I have done and I need to be honest about."

"Well, you're a better person than me then."

"I'm not trying to be a better person than you..but they will either see I've cleaned up my act and I'm a good person and approve my life insurance..or they can see the negatives in my past and reject me. I'm okay with that."





Because seriously..if no one lied about their past..pretty much no one would have life insurance. I refuse to be made to feel weird about myself because I wouldn't flub a bit. So whatever..I'm either approved or I'm not.


Well, tomorrow..an ambulance is coming to my house..with cute little paramedics (aww a house call for lab work. That's precious.)..and they're going to draw my blood and take a urine sample in order to complete the process..and then we wait to hear back from USAA. Should take 3-4 weeks, they said.


Let's see how far honesty really gets you.

3 comments:

YogaNana said...

They do say that no good deed goes unpunished. I look forward to the results.

Hannah said...

Good for you Abs. I mean geez, it was 5 years ago. Nobody has a perfect past, but hey, it's the past.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of anyone having to go through such a long process just to get life insurance! I have 2 policies and neither company asked any major questions. Brian has a $2 mil policy and they didn't ask any questions either.

I think you did the right thing by being honest. Better to be 100% honest up front than have your policy canceled or your family not getting their check because they found out you lied. I would have done the same thing.